Thursday, March 26, 2015

Why paranormal?

Although I'm not totally paranormal author, I'm published in historical romance and am trying myself in suspense romance, people often ask why I write paranormal.

The main reason is, when I write paranormal, I resurrect a local legend. And there are no shortage of them from my native Croatia. With such rich and long history, things were bound to happen, and among aristocracy free love between young people was rarely allowed.

In those days marrying off for a title or better social status were main reasons to tie a knot. Only peasants down on the ground married for love. But that doesn't mean that love among aristocrats didn't happen. It did. However, it was a forbidden love and often ended tragically.

One such tragic love  from the later part of 17th century is a base for my newest release titled "Rose of Crimson". It's often referred to as Croatian Romeo and Juliet. Only in this love from Renaissance times, the lovers' family did not kiss and make up at their children's funereal.

I kept this story as it was retold through the centuries, but I had to make a small change to bring the main characters back to life. I had to make them immortal. Or it would be yet another retold story many heard of over and over again.

This new twist gave the story a much needed fresh breath. I've also added a character who is fascinated with the story and would do anything to hear every detail of how it played. Kate gets her wish, but in the process pays with her heart.



My Bio: A member of the Romance Writers of America and its chapter Kiss Of Death, as well as Savvy Authors, Zrinka Jelic writes contemporary fiction—which leans toward the paranormal—and always adds a pinch of history. Her characters come from all walks of life, and although she prefers red, romance comes in many colors. Given Jelic’s love for her native Croatia and the Adriatic Sea, her characters usually find themselves dealing with a fair amount of sunshine, but a little fall of rain is unavoidable in everyone’s life.   

Find me on: Amazon  Facebook   Twitter 
Visit my  Blog   

No comments:

Post a Comment